By using this website, you accept our use of cookies. Want to know more?

Housing Disrepair

If you rent your property from a local Council, a social Landlord or a private Landlord and your property is in a state of disrepair, you may be entitled to claim compensation.

It is important that you notify your landlord as soon as possible about any damage or disrepair issues. As a tenant, minor repairs are often your responsibility. However, repairs required due to disrepair and damp will be your Landlord’s responsibility.

If your Landlord refuses to repair the damage or has ignored you, you may be entitled to force your Landlord to carry out the repairs, as well as claim compensation for not only the inconvenience that you have suffered, but also for any losses you have incurred for damaged items as a result of the disrepair.

It’s important to be aware that your Landlord will have a duty to you either under the terms of your Tenancy Agreement, by Law, or usually both.

Making a Claim

For Damaged Items

Compensation can be claimed for damaged items as a result of the disrepair: for example, damp which has caused your clothing, bedding, carpets, furniture, curtains and other items to become infested with mould.

For Inconvenience

If you can show that complaints have been made and repairs are still outstanding, then you will most likely be able to claim for compensation for the inconvenience that you have suffered whilst waiting for the repairs to be carried out. The general rule is that the longer you have been waiting for the repairs to be completed, the higher the compensation you will be able to claim.

For Any Related Personal Injury

In addition to the above, if we can establish a successful Housing Disrepair claim and you feel that your health or a family member’s health has been affected, then you or a family member may also be able to claim for compensation.

The amount of compensation that you are entitled to is dependent on the circumstances surrounding your case. Therefore, it is advised that legal advice is taken before starting any legal action.

Please note that if you are claiming for compensation caused to you or a family member’s health, we will need to prove that the disrepair and health problems are linked. This means that the disrepair was a contributing factor to your ill health, not that it was the sole cause.

How We Can Help

Our team of expert Housing Disrepair Solicitors specialise in this area of law and, if you are entitled to make a claim, they will assist you in thoroughly documenting the circumstances surrounding your claim.

Our specialist solicitors can provide you with expert advice and legal representation for your Housing Disrepair claim.

To start your claim or find out if you can claim, call us on 0208 437 0731 or click here to complete an online enquiry and we will call you back.
Contact Us

Contact MTA Solicitors on 0208 437 0731 or alternatively, complete the form below.

Title *
First name *
Surname *
Email *
Telephone *
Enquiry type *

When would you like to be called?
What time? *
Contact one of our team
Call 0208 437 0731 or Make an Online Enquiry