By using this website, you accept our use of cookies. Want to know more?

Changing Your Name

Our team of Family Law solicitors can assist you in legally changing your name or your child’s name. We can also help advise on whether the other parent will need to give consent before changing the name of your child. This involves creating a legal document to officially change the name.

Provided a person does not wish to deceive or defraud anyone, they may call themselves by any name they choose. They may change their name informally and later swear a statement confirming the new name or they may change their name formally by a deed poll. If they wish, they may register the change of their name but there is no obligation. Certain people have an obligation to tell the immigration authorities if they change their name.

There is no requirement for a person to adopt any formality in changing their forename or surname. However, all UK government departments (including the Home Office Passport and Identity service), the DVLA and other official bodies won’t recognise a name change unless a formal process is followed, so it is far better to change your name formally. You can do this in several ways:
  • Statutory declaration
  • Deed poll
  • Royal licence
  • Coat of Arms (only Scotland)
  • Act of Parliament

Contact Us

Contact MTA Solicitors on 0208 437 0731 or alternatively, complete the form below.

Title *
First name *
Surname *
Email *
Telephone *
Enquiry type *

When would you like to be called?
What time? *
Contact one of our Family Law Solicitors
Call 0208 437 0731 or Make an Online Enquiry